[Foundation-l] 2006-2011: Mexican, Argentinian, Brazilian governments distance themselves from freedomdefined 1.0

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 23:04:49 UTC 2011

On 5 March 2011 12:29, Teofilo <teofilowiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mexico switched from PD to CC-BY-NC-ND in 2006 (1)
> Argentina from CC-BY-SA to CC-BY-NC some time in 2009-2011 (2)
> Brazil removed CC-BY-SA altogether from the culture ministry website
> in early 2011, in a context where the ministry is planning to reform
> the copyright law (3)
>
> Are our definition and our practices around free culture attractive
> enough for democratically elected governments ?

Well the UK is releasing stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Data_in_the_UK

I for one never thought we would get this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ordnance_Survey_1-250000_-_TF.jpg

> My view is that they aren't. They are unnecessarily dry, unhuman,
> personality-rights-moral-rights aggressive,
> uploader-unfriendly-downloader-friendly.

It's legal text. The first two are unavoidable. The licences tend not
to touch personality-rights one way or the other and moral-rights tend
to conflict with how common law thinks contract law should work.

--
geni