[Foundation-l] Moral rights

Newyorkbrad newyorkbrad at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 14:31:35 UTC 2011

This thread is at a bit too theoretical a plane for me to follow in detail.
(As it happens, I'm a lawyer, but of course not a French lawyer.)  Can
someone give a specific instance (theoretical or historical) where the
assertion of droit moral as applied to wiki content beyond what is expressly
preserved in the license would actually come up as a practical matter?  In
my experience, most assertions on-wiki of moral rights have been in the
context of editing disputes, but I know there is a deeper philosophical and
legal issue involved here than occasional passing legal threats.

FWIW, there is some discussion of a related issue in an arbitration decision
I wrote (RfAr/Alastair Haines 2).  Basically, what we said was that
submitting one's work to Wikipedia, by the very nature of our collaborative
editing process, means that one is surrendering the ability to preserve the
work intact to a greater extent than by submitting it elsewhere.  If one
believes it's important that one's writing be presented as submitted,
without change, then Wikipedia is not the right forum for it, regardless of
the merits of the content.

Newyorkbrad