[Foundation-l] Wikimedia "Storyteller" job opening

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 2 00:06:18 UTC 2011

On 1 March 2011 15:54, SlimVirgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 16:41, Pronoein <pronoein at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Based on the one survey of former contributors that has been conducted
>> > (see
>> > http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Former_Contributors_Survey_Results),
>> > this doesn't figure highly enough to demonstrate the kind of significant
>> > minority you suggest. Rather, the concerns of those surveyed are
>> > overwhelmingly about how rulebound, overly complex, and unfriendly their
>> > work in the community seemed to be. Perhaps somebody would care to go
>> > back through the full survey responses and see if they can identify
>> > comments that fit the "I was being exploited" line you're pushing here.
>>
>> Michael, I wouldn't underestimate the "I'm being exploited" feeling for
> people either leaving, or failing to join up. In Wikipedia's early years, we
> were exploiting ourselves, as it were. But the more of a corporate structure
> the Foundation assumes, the greater the sense that we're working for
> something in which we have no input. There will be a tipping point that
> differs for each individual, and they may not even express it in those
> terms.

Ah, Sarah, I don't think that's particularly fair. Bear in mind we've
just published a strategic plan that 1,000+ Wikimedians helped create.
I'm not denying that some Wikimedians may feel alienated from the
Wikimedia Foundation: I'm sure it is true for some. But "something in
which we have no input" is, IMO, not a fair characterization.

Thanks,
Sue