[Foundation-l] Wikimedia "Storyteller" job opening

SlimVirgin slimvirgin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 00:31:10 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 18:06, Sue Gardner <sgardner at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On 1 March 2011 15:54, SlimVirgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:

> the
> ),
> significant
> their
> here.
> >>
> >> Michael, I wouldn't underestimate the "I'm being exploited" feeling for
> > people either leaving, or failing to join up. In Wikipedia's early years,
> we
> > were exploiting ourselves, as it were. But the more of a corporate
> structure
> > the Foundation assumes, the greater the sense that we're working for
> > something in which we have no input. There will be a tipping point that
> > differs for each individual, and they may not even express it in those
> > terms.
>
> Ah, Sarah, I don't think that's particularly fair. Bear in mind we've
> just published a strategic plan that 1,000+ Wikimedians helped create.
> I'm not denying that some Wikimedians may feel alienated from the
> Wikimedia Foundation: I'm sure it is true for some. But "something in
> which we have no input" is, IMO, not a fair characterization.
>
> Thanks,
> Sue

I accept that, Sue, but it's a matter of perception. I can see a lot of
effort on the Foundation's part to reach out to new communities, but a
similar "in-reach" program to keep current editors feeling invested would
help a lot.

Every time one of these new jobs is announced it does add to the feeling
(rightly or wrongly) of corporate expansion that we're not part of.

Sarah