[Foundation-l] Wikimedia "Storyteller" job opening

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Tue Mar 1 21:24:37 UTC 2011

Zack Exley wrote:
> But there is one important purpose of that job that may be a bit hidden in
> between the lines: For this position, I'm looking for someone who can help
> free us from dependence on "The Jimmy Letter" in fundraising.

I think part of my confusion (maybe the biggest chunk of it) comes from
terminology and naming. I guess you're not really trying to hire a
"storyteller," you're trying to hire a "public relations (fundraising)"
person. One title is obviously a bit more poetic, but also a lot more
confusing, I think.

The other aspect to this that's confusing to me is the underlying purpose of
the "Community Department." Best as I can tell, it's largely focused on
fundraising. Is there a description of the current "Community Department"
that clarifies what it does (other than fundraising)? I'm not saying that
Wikimedia shouldn't have a team devoted to fundraising, but I don't really
understand why it's named the way it is. Is there something wrong with it
being named the "Fundraising Department"? I can't imagine I'm the only one
confused about this.

MZMcBride