[Foundation-l] Wikimedia "Storyteller" job opening

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Tue Mar 1 20:22:32 UTC 2011

David Gerard wrote:
> On 1 March 2011 19:35, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm curious how http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Job_openings/Storyteller
>> fits in with Wikimedia's mission or its strategic plan.
>
> It's pretty much directly answered right there on the linked page, for
> anyone else who's wondering.
>
> What bit of the page wasn't clear?

The part where adding this person leads to better content? Wikimedia's
mission is to educate the world with free content. I'm not sure how a
Propaganda Minister really furthers that goal. There is a very finite amount
of resources for staff hires; I just don't see how this passes any type of
reasonable cost/benefit analysis.

If it's the outside world's perception of Wikimedia that is the underlying
concern, I think hiring someone whose job description includes "make
something incredibly beautiful every month" might be more detrimental to
Wikimedia's image and mission than anything else. There are a lot of people
who would be (more) willing to donate to Wikimedia if they didn't feel their
donations would be spent like this, in my view.

MZMcBride