[Foundation-l] Call for referendum

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 11:42:40 UTC 2011

On 30 June 2011 12:31, Alec Conroy <alecmconroy at gmail.com> wrote:

> The further we can get away from the model of elementary schools and
> towards the model of the global universities, the better.

+1

(This entire post is gold.)

One *big* problem we have now is: Wikipedia has won. Wikipedia is the
encyclopedia anyone actually consults, ever. Wikipedia now defines
what an "encyclopedia" is in popular conception.

So we don't have any tail-lights to chase. What sets our direction? Do
we just drift?

This gives a conceptual model to work to: We are the sum of all
university libraries.[1]

This is just one. We need more. We need conceptual goals on that
level, so that we know what the heck we're doing here.

This will then allow us to say to people demanding we do things a
certain way "no, and this is why."

- d.

[1] In some regards. Maybe. I expect nitpicking shortly.