[Foundation-l] [Xmldatadumps-l] Wikipedia dumps downloader

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 07:28:22 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:49 PM, Peter Gervai <grinapo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:12, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 06/27/2011 01:07 PM, emijrp wrote:
>
>> If you create a way to sync images partially (let's say, the base
>> letters inside of the directory structure), a couple of dozens of
>> Wikimedians could create a couple of dozens of backups. I could host on
>> my personal computer ~500GB, which approximates one letter.
>
> Some chapters have servers with storage space, too.

Being able to keep a backup of all media under Category:Australia on
an Australian server would be beneficial, as there are occasional
calls for this in order to keep the Australian content 'safe'.  If
this was possible to backup only the works related to Australia, we
could also ask the national library ([[PANDORA]] project) if they
consider it within their scope to back it up.

--
John Vandenberg