[Foundation-l] It Is not Us

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 17:54:06 UTC 2011

On 26 June 2011 17:46, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
> Facebook, and Twitter, big with Black folk, gives people something they
> can relate to. Wikipedia is as dry as reading, or writing, an
> encyclopedia.
>
> In a sense they ate our lunch, but millions of Facebook-like user pages
> can hardly be justified as a basis for charitable donations.

It's important to keep in mind that Facebook and Wikipedia have very
different user structures. Facebook has one group: individual users
chatting to their friends. There are some commercial entities doing
stuff too, but the vast majority of users are just people chatting.
Wikipedia, on the other hand, has too groups: readers and editors.
There isn't a clear line between the two, but there is definitely a
difference between readers and editors.

That makes a very big difference when looking at these kind of
statistics. Facebook just needs to look at how much people are using
the site. We need to look at both how much people are editing and how
much people are reading.