[Foundation-l] Simple Wikipedia: different projects

rupert THURNER rupert.thurner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 20:30:17 UTC 2011

people working at teacher schools in switzerland approached us a couple of
times to push into a direction of *having wikipedia for different age groups
*. first discussed ideas included the *groups **kids, junior, standard, *and
* expert*. this would mean maximum four times as many articles, nicely
hidden behind a gui which allows a quick switch between the variants, and
also the inviting "missing article" feeling a red link gives.

up to now we always thought there is a lack of support for such ideas, or it
would be just retargeted to wikijunior. also, we thought there might not be
enough editors. but recently things started to change, at least imo. (1)
editors do not have anything to edit any more because wikipedia is so
complete. (2) the whole wiki movement has more money and energy to improve
the software. (3) and most important, not only professors in ivory towers
but long-standing, reputed wikipedians like you come up with ideas how such
a topic could be addressed.

one challenge of course is to encourage people providing low age contents
because creating it takes so much more time - but i am pretty sure there are
means to address it - let me just steal the brand "wiki loves monuments" and
rephrase it to "wiki loves kids".

what you think?

rupert

ps - to take milos acceleration example, the four variants could be - please
do not beat me if they are not good enough ...

*kids*
a movie, or a picture, e.g.
http://www.kidsknowit.com/interactive-educational-movies/free-online-movies.php?movie=Acceleration

*junior*
Acceleration is a way to measure how fast something is speeding up. Suppose
you are riding your bike. You start out going very slowly, hardly pedaling
at all. Now you begin to pedal as hard as you can, to speed up - you are
accelerating. Now that you are going at a normal speed, you stop pedaling so
hard, and just pedal normally. You're still going, but you're not getting
any faster, just going along at your normal speed. You're not accelerating
anymore.
(from:
http://www.historyforkids.org/scienceforkids/physics/movement/acceleration.htm
)

*standard*
*Acceleration* is a measure <http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Measure> of
how fast <http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed>
velocity<http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity>
 changes <http://simple.wiktionary.org/wiki/change>. Acceleration is the
change of velocity divided <http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divide> by the
change of time <http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time>. Acceleration is a
vector <http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector>, and therefore includes
both a size <http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Size> and a
direction<http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direction>
.
(from http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceleration)

*expert*
In physics <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics>, *acceleration* is the
rate of change of velocity <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity> over
time.[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceleration#cite_note-0> In one
dimension, acceleration is the
rate<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rate_(mathematics)> at
which something speeds up or slows down. However, since velocity is a
vector<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_vector>,
acceleration describes the rate of change of both the magnitude and the
direction of velocity.[2]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceleration#cite_note-1>
[3] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceleration#cite_note-2> Acceleration has
thedimensions <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_analysis>
L<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Length>
 T <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time> −2. In
SI<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units> units,
acceleration is measured in meters per second
squared<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre_per_second_per_second>
 (m/s2). (Negative acceleration i.e. retardation, also has the same
dimensions/units.)

Proper acceleration <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proper_acceleration>, the
acceleration of a body relative to a free-fall condition, is measured by an
instrument called an accelerometer<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerometer>
.
(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceleration)