[Foundation-l] Amicus Brief Filed in Golan v. Holder: Fighting for the Public Domain

geni geniice at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 14:39:01 UTC 2011

On 23 June 2011 07:54, Alec Conroy <alecmconroy at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's not about ignoring legitimate copyright claims--  we can always
> decide for ourselves what is a legitimate copyright claim for
> WMF-hosted projects.

Except the WMF just signed up in support of the EMF side which means
it's now the foundation's position that such copyright claims should
have no significance in the US.

> If this case goes the wrong
> way, it's possible that  the congress will force all US citizens and
> organizations to recognize illegitimate copyright claims.

That doesn't even make sense.

> The nation's judicial branch has a
> legitimate question that's gone all the way to the supreme court--
> precisely how should copyright laws be interpreted in the internet
> age?

Indeed the lawyers are free to make such arguments. No reason for us
to get involved.

> Of course the non-profits are right to share their analysis with the
> US supreme court.   It's not as if they're actually deciding the
> case-- they're just contributing to the discussion with the US Supreme
> Court, sharing their best guess about what their lawyers believe the
> correct answer is..

Did you even bother to read the opening post?

Arcane legal arguments about what the law is falls outside the
foundation's remit. We are not a lawyers benefit foundation. No the
foundation has taken a very practical real world campaigning position
which probably sounds great to a limited number of people within the
US but is going to cause problems outside.

--
geni