[Foundation-l] Amicus Brief Filed in Golan v. Holder: Fighting for the Public Domain

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 21:02:14 UTC 2011

On 22 June 2011 21:14, Lodewijk <lodewijk at effeietsanders.org> wrote:

> Is this something the WMF will do more often in the future (or has done in
> the past) or is this an extreme exception due to its importance?

I was talkiing to someone today, describing WMF as an 800lb gorilla
that tries very hard not to have people notice its muscles ...

Our power is something to save for special occasions. This is,IMO,
just the sort of thing it's for. I would hope we don't have to use it
very soon again. But if this sort of thing comes up again, it would be
appropriate.

I would suggest Wikimedia chapters and fans reblog it and possibly do
press releases. Worldwide publicity is appropriate for this - the US
keeps setting the terms of copyright of late.

- d.