[Foundation-l] EFF & Bitcoins

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Wed Jun 22 18:13:47 UTC 2011

Michael Snow wrote:
> The events happened at the same time, so the connection is pretty
> obvious, but it was never a quid pro quo. While I was on the board,
> there was at least one major donor who was interested in being added to
> the board based on their financial contributions, but that person was
> not considered a good fit despite being a generous supporter of the
> organization. So no, the notion that a board seat would be available for
> money is incorrect. We felt Matt added valuable expertise and would be a
> good addition to the board, whether Omidyar was donating $1 million or
> $10 million. As he remains on the board after leaving Omidyar, I presume
> that's also why he's still there.

Out of the 6.5 billion-plus people in the world, one of four or so who were
partners at the organization that was donating $2 million to Wikimedia was
the best choice? With those kinds of odds and that kind of luck, I would've
been buying a lot of lottery tickets.

I think this thread is a classic case of wikiality: "together we can create
a reality that we all agree on--the reality we just agreed on."

I apologize for hijacking this thread.

MZMcBride