[Foundation-l] Fwd: Re: Projects in simple languages

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jun 21 09:23:00 UTC 2011

On 06/20/11 2:12 PM, Ziko van Dijk wrote:
> The case with Simple English WP is a little more complicated:
> http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Simple_English_Wikipedia
> Basic English is only one standard they are looking at.
> There should be also more consideration about the target group. If a
> simple wikipedia meant to be a tool to learn the language?

I have always felt that the simple language projects were and still are
valuable members of the project community, and it would be great if
other languages had similar projects.  While those learning a language
are a clear target group, they are not the only one.  One important
group is the learning disabled, native speakers whose language skills
will never reach the standards of the general population.  In a meeting
I once attended a school librarian spoke if the challenges of acquiring
books for school libraries.  To build a love of learning and reading
among the disabled requires material that they can follow on topics they
are likely to encounter.  If the general student population is reading
fantasy novels, the ability of limited learners to read something
similar helps them to feel more a part of the community, and reinforces
self-esteem.

Ray