[Foundation-l] Projects in simple languages

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 18:30:48 UTC 2011

On 06/20/2011 08:23 PM, Milos Rancic wrote:
> The logical line of my thoughts was to allow *any* project in simple (or
> equivalent) language if there is a scientific basis. Mostly because
> there could be created valid communities around non-world-languages with
> large number of speakers (German and Japanese are examples).

Just to add one personal note: Four requests [1][2][3][4] for Simple
German Wikipedia have influence on my position.

As I said on LangCom list, I am personally opposed to the projects in
simple languages, as, out of English one, their purpose tend to be
censored "family friendly" projects. Including the request for the
request in Simple German.

However, if there is a valid community which aims to create educational
project -- encyclopedia, to be precise --, I don't think that we have
right to forbid them that.

[1]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages/Wikipedia_Simple_German
[2]