[Foundation-l] en.wp HACKED?

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 16:22:17 UTC 2011

On 19 June 2011 09:41, Sage Ross <ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Casey Brown <lists at caseybrown.org> wrote:
>
> > Yeah, that does happen sometimes.  The cause is usually "template
> > vandalism", where a vandal adds some content to an unprotected
> > template that's used in a few pages.  This makes it difficult for new
> > users to find out what happened and usually freaks people out. :-)
>
> Which template did this happen on? I didn't notice any on-wiki
> discussions pointing to it.

I'm not sure what kind of on-wiki discussions you might expect to see, Sage.
Template vandalism is not particularly rare (in fact it's so common there's
a standardized OTRS response to complaints about it), and is essentially
treated like any other kind of significant vandalism: revert, block, ignore.
There's a bit more to addressing this particular series, but my instinct is
that the English Wikipedia community has learned from past experiences that
having major public discussions about how to "address" certain types of
vandals and vandalism can often turn out to be a primer in how to vandalize
(or be seen by the vandal as "proof" of his success), so such discussions
are not very common anymore.

Risker/Anne