[Foundation-l] content ownership in different projects

Marco Chiesa chiesa.marco at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 15:08:30 UTC 2011

On 6/17/11, Strainu <strainu10 a gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that such a policy could not be fundamentally different in
> other languages, since they all have the same license. However, the
> wording could be improved, for instance by explaining WHY one cannot
> consider himself as the owner of an article: by accepting the CC-BY-SA
> license, one gives up a significant amount of the rights and control
> offered by copyright laws. And this is not only from a legal POV, this
> is also true from a common sense perspective: more people approaching
> a problem often lead to better result than a single individual trying
> to solve that problem.

To be honest, when you release your work under cc-by-sa you grant a
third party the right to reuse a (small or large) part of your work to
make a derivative work. The license in itself is not what determines
that the live version of a Wikipedia article is the last one, this
happens because of Wikipedia policies. And of course, your (old)
version is not deleted from the article history apart from a few
cases. The point is: Wikipedia is a collaborative encyclopedia, if
people don't accept this they can always publish somewhere else.
Cruccone