[Foundation-l] content ownership in different projects

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Fri Jun 17 14:15:20 UTC 2011

2011/6/17 Peter Gervai <grinapo at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 15:24, Amir E. Aharoni
> <amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>> In such cases, as an Israeli saying goes, i am right, but i am not
>> clever. It hurts that person and it hurts the project, because that
>> person may otherwise be a very valuable contributor and such things
>> often make people resign. And every time it happens i spend months
>> thinking how i could avoid it.
>
> I am not sure it is a valuable contributor who do not accept the base
> of the community work, who do not spend time to understand the legal
> license what is being used publishing and don't even take the time to
> listen to others.

Well, yes, but this solution is too easy.

This can be a valuable contributor, because he has extensive knowledge
about a certain topic and has the time and the skill to write about
it. We have a community tradition of doing things wiki way, but people
who don't like the wiki idea can still be excellent physicist,
historians or engineers, and we should want them to write for our
projects.

Experts with writing skills can find other venues to publish their
writings. It is us who want to publish these writings more widely and
with a free license - "freely share in the sum of all knowledge". So
we need them more than they need us.

> S/he may be a future valuable contributor after serious education.
> Time. Energy.

Again, it's true, but in practice i feel too awkward to "educate" a
person who is often older and much more educated than i am.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
"We're living in pieces,
 I want to live in peace." - T. Moore