[Foundation-l] Wikis and the direction hardware is taking

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 21:52:28 UTC 2011

James - Wiki Edit is pretty nice.  Is this a one-man project by Don Kosak?

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 7:14 PM,  <Birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yes I eventually found that app.  And it is much superior to editing from the browser. But it doesn't support ProofreadPage extension. Still between the app and browser it is definitely workable with two edits. My concern is much more that the reading/navigation experience seems to be driving people to these apps which strip out all of the editing and maybe even WMF messaging. And these people must be genuinely interested in Wikipedia to download a special app for it. Probably people who are decent candidates to convert to editors.

This is definitely a problem.  New readership is growing much faster
on mobile and tablet devices, and we don't have a single channel for
them to participate in the edting/reading/communicating community, as
you say.

On the positive side, we can find out a lot about people based on what
tool they are using to visit and browse the site, so we can directly
encourage them to become editors, or to download better apps/tools for
using the projects.

SJ