[Foundation-l] Fwd: [Wiki-research-l] Summaries of recent Wikipedia research

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 17:40:50 UTC 2011

Fwd'ing to F-l in case you did not read the Signpost this week... this
is WONDERFUL, thank you so much to the Signpost and to the Research
Committee.

The amount of research done on and about Wikipedia has grown
substantially over the last few years, and has gotten a good deal more
sophisticated as well; studies about participation, editing
experiences, off-line access and how readers use Wikipedia -- such as
those profiled in this issue -- are all deeply relevant to the work we
are doing across Wikimedia.

Because of this I have long hoped for stronger ties between the
academic research community that studies Wikimedia and Wikimedia
itself, and we are now building those ties with, for instance, the
volunteer research committee:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_committee (RCOM, not to be
confused with ARBCOM), and the summer of research:
http://blog.wikimedia.org/2011/06/01/summerofresearchannouncement/

The Signpost summary is a welcome addition and I look forward to
future editions.

-- phoebe