[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation Elections 2009 ( 2011 ? ) & Bots

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Fri Jun 10 15:03:03 UTC 2011

Andrew Garrett wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Béria Lima <berialima at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, i received a mail to my global bot account (Ripchip Bot) and the bot
>> has - at least - 60 local bot flags. So we should assume there are no
>> checking for bot flags at all.
>
> In this case, the bot qualified on Norwegian Wikipedia.
>
> It's looking like global bots which aren't flagged everywhere are an
> edge case that should be addressed next time around.

It'd be nice if there were an eligibility check API or something. I know
that Pathoschild and others have created Toolserver tools over the years to
try to replicate eligibility requirements, but a function built-in to the
SecurePoll extension or CentralAuth or whatever would be much better. It
would allow for better e-mail targeting and better banner targeting, among
other things.

MZMcBride