[Foundation-l] Wikimedia at events

Pharos pharosofalexandria at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 20:18:53 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 6:32 PM, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> James Forrester wrote:
>>>
>>> I started a (very bad) page at Meta-Wiki for future events:
>>> <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_in_meatspace>.
>>>
>>> If anyone else could give it some love, that would be appreciated. :-)
>>
>> No reason that you couldn't scrape and push into an iCal format (or
>> whatever) from that. Worth doing?
>
> Absolutely worth doing, in my opinion. I'd first like to get the page/system
> a bit more established (and fill in some of the past years), but supporting
> iCal/gCal/etc. through a MediaWiki extension or a Toolserver tool would be
> awesome.
>
> Casey Brown wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 10:25 PM, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:
>>> I started a (very bad) page at Meta-Wiki for future events:
>>> <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_in_meatspace>.
>>
>> What's the difference between that page and
>> <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Events>?  We should clarify what the
>> difference is, if any.  Then again, maybe it's okay if the two
>> overlap. :-)
>
> Err, didn't really know about the "Events" page. :-)  It seems to list only
> current information, but the page history is probably ripe with good
> information that can be pulled out and stored in the subpages of the new
> system.

Actually, "Events" is not particularly focused on current stuff, the
great majority of items are actually for past events over the last
several years.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Events

Definitely there should be some kind of merge, and we'll figure out
whatever the best format is and go with that.

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)