[Foundation-l] YouTube and Creative Commons

aude aude.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 23:42:51 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Aryeh Gregor
<Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2011/6/3 Jon Harald Søby <jhsoby at gmail.com>:
> > The only reason I can see for not allowing embedding is that
> > embedding would be promoting YouTube
>
> Embedding YouTube videos in Wikimedia content would send IP addresses
> and other information about Wikimedia users to Google.  This is
> against Wikimedia's privacy policy, as I understand it, and it would
> certainly upset a lot of people.  I think it's extremely unlikely to
> happen.

Aside from the very real privacy issue, YouTube videos can disappear at any
time.  I would much rather we host them on Commons.

A youtube2commons script is pretty easy to implement, but the big hindrance
is the 100 MB upload limit on Commons.  What are the plans (if any) to
increase this? or help facilitate us (e.g. via the api, from the toolserver,
...) in uploading video and files that exceed the limit?

Cheers,
Katie