[Foundation-l] Global ban - poetlister?

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 22:50:06 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Kirill Lokshin <kirill.lokshin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 6:41 PM, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jun 3, 2011, at 8:29 AM, Scott MacDonald wrote:
>>
>> > Imagine if poetlister now engages in identity theft and deception at
>> > Wikiversity.
>>
>> How precisely does one engage in identity theft in a project that does not
>> require the submission of identifying information?
>

> By voluntarily submitting stolen information, of course.  The fact that
> Wikipedia (or Wikiversity) does not require that I provide my real name to
> participate would not make it any more acceptable if I were to claim that I
> was Dan Rosenthal and put pictures of you on my user page to prove it.
>
> (You'd be correct if the project actually prohibited the submission
> of identifying information, rather than merely not requiring it; but that's
> not the case here.)

Right.  Merely staying pseudonymous or anonymous is supported, but
taking on some other real life person's identity on English Language
Wikipedia is clearly prohibited now, and should be.  It's bad for all
the same reasons that real life identity theft is bad.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Wikipedia:USERNAME#Real_names

"Do not register a username that includes the name of an identifiable
living person unless it is your real name."

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com