[Foundation-l] Global ban - poetlister?

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 20:33:43 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Scott MacDonald
<doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> [...]

I'm glad to see this discussion made more general -- beyond this
particular case, and towards the general process for how and when we
can (and should) globally ban someone. I also think that we need to
have a clear process that can be used -- with care, but also without
requiring debate about *process* for every case. It helps everyone if
there are agreed-upon minimum standards for behavior and a process for
review of problems. More specifically, I think Scott's suggestions
above make a lot of sense.

The stewards do seem like the most obvious global group to enact such
review. There was a lot of discussion about this (and related
mechanisms for dispute resolution) last year among the stewards after
Wikimania, and there's a proposal here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Dispute_resolution_committee;
perhaps people who know more about this idea can weigh in, and we can
build on it.

Also somewhat related, I have been working on and off over the last
few months (with help from a few folks) to collect information about
harassment policies from across the projects, to see if there's any
community consensus about what to do about this kind of bad behavior;
see the list here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Harassment_policies
(I'd love some help with this, too!)

It might also be a useful exercise to collect and analyze other kinds
of "bad actor" guidelines from many projects, to see if there's any
global consensus currently on what our minimum standards for behavior
are. This could have a lot of useful cross-project application,
including perhaps developing grounds for global hard-banning that
would gain consensus.

-- phoebe