[Foundation-l] Global ban - poetlister?

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Fri Jun 3 19:03:29 UTC 2011

On 3 June 2011 11:22, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sue, the one thing that comes to mind is that the Foundation does have the
> right to restrict access to private or non-public information and can decree
> that a specific individual is banned from any position that permits access
> to such information. (The data belongs to the WMF and therefore access to it
> can be controlled by the WMF.) It is possible that this could extend as far
> as use of the "email this user" feature for editors who have been shown to
> abuse it, because those "non-public" emails travel through the WMF servers.
> Again the WMF has the right to decree whether or not this is appropriate use
> of WMF equipment.  Neither of these issues are project-specific; they are
> global in scope.
>
> I tend to agree with Kirill Lokshin about the ability of the WMF as a
> service provider to restrict access to its property in a general sense, for
> the very small number of individuals who have repeatedly abused their access
> across several projects, or more directly by affecting Wikimedians by taking
> "wiki-disputes" into other areas; my estimate would be that we're probably
> talking fewer than a dozen people altogether over the past 10 years who
> might meet this level of abuse.

Thanks Risker and everybody else.

I'm going to need to duck out of this conversation -- I'm going into a
long meeting. But so you know: we're talking about this here at the
Foundation, and about the related issue of trolls/stalkers. Basically:
how should bad actors be handled, and what are the Foundation's
responsibilities and most useful role.

This discussion is helpful, and if it continues, please know that a
number of us here are paying attention :-)

Thanks,
Sue