[Foundation-l] Global ban - poetlister?

geni geniice at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 17:56:44 UTC 2011

On 3 June 2011 18:43, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> Scott MacDonald wrote:
>> The same user is now opening editing on Wikiversity:
>> http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Poetlister
>
> And? I don't see a problem with those contributions. Are they problematic in
> some way (particularly in a way that the English Wikiversity admins can't
> handle)?

It would not be unrealistic to suggest that those few elements of the
english wikipedia admin community who are aware of their wikiversity
colleges don't hold them in the highest regard.

> There seem to be a number of _institutional_ failures that allow certain
> dedicated, willing people to be able to manipulate the system. A number of
> forums across the wikiverse have promoted this user to administrator,
> bureaucrat, checkuser, etc. That's generally a sign that the user is doing
> good work. If those systems are broken, I'd suggest focusing time and energy
> on fixing them.

There is no practical way to impact another projects RFA process (with
the possible exception of commons and meta). It tends to be an area
where projects like to make their independence clear.

> The idea that you can stop manipulation of the system by sporadic (and
> wildly inefficient) witch-hunts is rather insane. If the door is unlocked,
> you don't imprison every person who tries to open it, you lock it (and then
> imprison those who break in).

Stopping it is always impossible. Zee aim is to reduce it.

--
geni