[Foundation-l] Global ban - poetlister?

Scott MacDonald doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 3 17:18:37 UTC 2011

These should be surmountable.

First the grounds for a global ban ought to be limited. Where users have
engaged in activity which goes beyond trolling and disruption towards
illegality, or the type of harassment that has real-life consequences, or
endangers vulnerable people, then a global hard ban should be considered -
which overrides any local agreements to the contrary. In cases where the
user has simply disrupted two or more projects then a presumptive ban would
be more appropriate - that is the user cannot participate in any further
community without specific local consent. (That stops the dumping problem.)

What you need is a mechanism so that one local community, when banning a
user who meets the criteria, can refer the case to a cross-project review
group for a global decision. This group needs to be loaded so that en.wp
cannot dominate - and that other projects can have confidence that this is
the case. It might simply be a conclave of stewards, or it could be a group
with each member nominated by a different project.

Scott