[Foundation-l] Global ban - poetlister?

Peter Coombe thewub.wiki at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 3 12:13:47 UTC 2011

On 3 June 2011 09:17, Scott MacDonald <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> What does it take for a global ban?
>

> Do you remember "Poetlister"? Aka Cato, aka Runcorn, aka Quillercouch, aka
> British Civil servant with various anti-social problems.  Multiple
> sockpuppeting, manipulation, lies, harassment, identity theft, acquiring
> checkuser and crat status on various projects. Banned from en.wp, banned
> from commons, banned even from wikisource.
>

> The same user is now opening editing on Wikiversity:
> http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Poetlister
>

> I'm genuinely shocked.
>

> I know projects value their independence, but really? Can this user simply
> wander round projects wreaking havoc? It seems that the only person evil
> enough to get globally banned is Greg Kohs - and as annoying as he is, he
> does not reach this level of fuckedup.

Even old Greg is not banned everywhere anymore - see
http://toolserver.org/~vvv/sulutil.php?user=Thekohser
His account was globally locked at one point on "word of Jimbo", but
it was decided that this was out of order and that individual projects
should be free to decide for themselves. A few (including en.wikinews)
have unblocked him after some discussion.

I am somewhat shocked at Poetlister though, that was a truly
monumental case of deception and abuse, probably the worst ever seen
on our projects. But if the Wikiversity community wants to let him
continue editing, I suppose it's their funeral.

Pete / the wub