[Foundation-l] [OT: OSM] State of the Map, Sep 9-11 - discount for early birds, scholarships

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 05:39:07 UTC 2011

Somewhat off-topic, from one of our awesome cousin projects:

The annual OSM meeting will be in Denver this September 9-11.  Early
bird registration ends in two weeks.

Outside of Wikimedia, OSM may be the most successful focused free
knowledge project around, and has revolutionized the culture of
mapping worldwide.  I had the pleasure of seeing their LinuxTag booth
the other week, and some of the print maps they are making with their
data are among the best I have seen.  I encourage anyone who is close
to Denver to consider going.

They are offering scholarships for mappers from countries with smaller
mapping communities who could not afford to come.  They list a few
countries as examples:

    Eastern and Southern Europe: Belarus, Kosovo, Bulgaria
    Arab States: Tunisia, Bahrain, Jordan
    Asia: Nepal, Afghanistan, Cambodia, Indonesia
    Latin America: Argentina, Bolivia, Guatemala
    Africa: Liberia, Ivory Coast, Swaziland

If you know OSM contributors in these regions who might benefit from
being at this meeting, you can nominate them via email until June 25:
http://stateofthemap.org/scholarships-to-state-of-the-map-2011/

SJ