[Foundation-l] Board resolutions on controversial content and images of identifiable people

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 23:22:32 UTC 2011

On 2 June 2011 00:00, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> I will say that the Board drafted these resolutions with good faith
> and a great deal of care, and the one thing I would ask as you debate
> them is to consider them as a whole. We think all of the principles we
> articulate are important, and have implications for how we manage our
> content. And a few of you have noted that these ideas are not new; of
> course that's true. We are simply building on the work that many
> community members have done over the years on this difficult problem.

The principles are, indeed, important. However, they are generally
quite uncontroversial. There are vocal minorities that disagree with
them, but I think the vast majority of the community agrees with the
principles you have outlined and that has been clear from numerous
discussions over the part couple of years. We didn't really have a
problem with the principles, we had a problem with doing something
about them. It's doing something about them that you haven't helped
with.