[Foundation-l] Board resolutions on controversial content and images of identifiable people

Alec Conroy alecmconroy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 22:01:26 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/01/2011 11:11 PM, FT2 wrote:
>> Information is educational.
> I fully agree with you. Any information is educational;

I also strongly agree that any information is educational.   The two
terms are synonymous.

We use 'educational' as a fig leaf that hides a fundamental schism
over the future of the movement.  There are two very different
interpretations of "educational" and thus two fundamentally different
visions of the road ahead.

One view holds that information is inherently educational, and in an
ideal world, we'd host all the information we could. (with obvious
restrictions like legality and not-being-evil).   In the future, we
will expand the diversity of both our audience AND our content.

A second camp views "educational' in a very narrow "classroom" way.
To this group, most information is "garbage/trivial/cruft", not
"educational".    In an ideal world, our movement  would include ONLY
the very best educational materials.   In the future, we will expand
the diversity of our audience while honing our content to only the
very best.
..
All the same, I'm glad to read that mass content deletion has been
taken off the table.

Alec