[Foundation-l] Board resolutions on controversial content and images of identifiable people

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 20:35:25 UTC 2011

Forgive me if I find these resolutions rather toothless; this is
another in a string of board resolutions that simply "urge the
projects." I'd love to understand what the Board thinks such
resolutions will accomplish. I understand there are legal constraints
on the ability of the Foundation to exercise control over content, but
these "urgings" are weakly stated even compared to other Foundation
content resolutions (c.f. the licensing policy).  Statements of
principle are all well and good, but when community positions are
firmly entrenched they are likely to have little impact. In the area
of images of identifiable subjects, I suspect the WMF will need to be
sued over a particularly vicious set of circumstances before
substantial progress will be made, and that is disappointing.

Nathan