[Foundation-l] The Wikipedia-Ready Essay

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 03:24:00 UTC 2011

On 06/01/2011 02:58 AM, Virgilio A. P. Machado wrote:
> Now that my attention has been drawn to that section, I wonder if
> that explains why the academic projects were not welcome and their
> contributions are being vandalized, almost systematically, at the
> Brazilian Wikipedia.

If you refer to any Brazilian native language edition of Wikipedia, may
you specify?

If you refer to Brazilian Portuguese Wikipedia, Language committee still
doesn't allow BCP 47 language tags. We are allowing just ISO 639-1
alpha-2 and ISO 639-3 alpha-3 language tags, which shouldn't be confused
with ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 codes for countries.

If that's true, that means that someone has opened new project without
following regular procedure. That's serious problem. May you, please,
point to the project, so we could know if it is about abusing technical
permissions or about some other, more serious issue?

If that's true, I would like to thank you to pointing to very serious
problem inside of Wikimedia. I would also like to thank you for pointing
how harmful is not following the rules in the sense of opening new projects.