[Foundation-l] Oral Citations project: People are Knowledge

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 29 22:28:31 UTC 2011

For what it is worth....

I think this approach exists on en.wiki on the premise that by using foreign
sources with no independent translation available:

a) It makes it easier to push a POV or miss-interpretation via that source
(because other editors are generally not able to understand it)
b) There is more potential for mistakes or miscomprehension - for example if
editors resort to using Google translate (not at all uncommon)

I for one consider this much akin to cracking a nut with a sledgehammer -
but I can see the reasoning behind it. It would be interesting to see a
working group dedicated to looking into ways to approach the "foreign
language source" issue.

English Wikipedia is pretty bad at considering foreign language sources. But
I have seen other language projects which appear worse still at accepting
them... and it is worse than just a language issue - often it feels like a
case of people thinking "well that culture is not the same as ours, so not
likely to be as reliable". (I criticise myself here too for this thinking,
even when I try to avoid it!)

I can never help feeling that this is often the core of our cultural
centrist bias (for all Wikipedias). Way before I learned my first foreign
language, back when young and naive, I believed that most  countries were
functionally the same as mine, just with different words. My first trip the
to US disabused me of this notion. I have never been hot-shot with languages
but always make a point, now, of learning at least a little of the native
language of wherever I travel - because the difference you see when using
that language is insane.

Anyway; the point is that we are in an interesting position to help advocate
this amazingly different cultural views to each other. Does anyone have idea
to address these issues of centrism and lack of trust in other cultures? I
think this would be a really interesting thing to explore!

Tom