[Foundation-l] Oral Citations project: People are Knowledge

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jul 29 09:27:04 UTC 2011

On 07/27/11 4:40 PM, Wjhonson wrote:
> Yes I agree that primary sources should ONLY be cited-quoted, in their original language.
> A translation can be *published* but that publication cannot be in Wikipedia solely.  It must live somewhere else as well, published by a reliable source.
>
> In this case of an audio file, we should have a transcription, than a translation.  However having Wikipedians translate primary sources and then citing and quoting those *translations* in-project is a recipe for disaster and fraught with the potential for abuse, as well as being original research.  In this case the original research is *your unpublished translation used as the actual source*.

It's also a mistake to use "original research" as an excuse for
suppressing information, as is often done on Wikipedia. A
wiki-translation is fine as long as long as the original is linked and
can be checked.  The other dangers that you cite are real, but we cannot
expect perfection from imperfect sources.  Whether a source is
"reliable" or research is "original" depends on one's POV.  Knowledge is
best served by expressing our uncertainties instead of blocking
uncertain facts.  Especially in matters of history it should be up to
the reader to decide what weight to give to material.

Ray