[Foundation-l] Oral Citations project: People are Knowledge

Wjhonson wjhonson at aol.com
Wed Jul 27 19:19:08 UTC 2011

So you wish to claim that you can make factual statements, based on oral interviews which are primary sources.

I find that position troubling.
I would suggest, should you actually present such a theory at our policy pages, you'd find strong opposition to this unique perspective.

Our policy does not mimic the policy of a print journal.  Wikipedia is not a secondary source in that sense.
It has rather been described as a "tertiary" source.
Encyclopedias in a general sense summarize and interpret multiple secondary sources with some primary source as well.

However this appears to be a leap that we should not make, IMHO.
I don't think requiring the use of quotations when you are quoting is much of a leap.
I do think, presenting facts, conclusions and positions based on a few data points only is irregular.