[Foundation-l] Oral Citations project: People are Knowledge

Achal Prabhala aprabhala at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 13:05:39 UTC 2011

Hallo (responses inline)

On Wednesday 27 July 2011 06:02 PM, CasteloBranco wrote:
> And why does the people who speaks Malayalam, Hindi and Sepedi need to
> write in English in order to have those oral citations published?
Yes, we don't. We have Sepedi, Malayalam and Hindi Wikipedias to work
on. Which is exactly what we did and are doing.
> English is not as universal as some people think. I guess we need to
> find an answer in their own language, so the solution won't be another
> barrier.
Certainly, which is why the main scope of this project has been to
create audio interviews in Sepedi, Malayalam and Hindi for use as oral
citations on the Wikipedias that correspond to these languages.
> Also, the escope of this project is much more important for the
> projects on these languages, and for speakers of these languages, rather
> than the English Wikipedia or its readers.
> But that's just me.
Well, a valid unit of knowledge in one language is surely valid in
another? Perhaps not every single unit of knowledge transfers as easily
(there was a really funny incident where certain Indian language
Wikipedias got hit with a large number of articles on Lady Gaga by
misguided machine translation some time ago). But by and large, this
holds true: assuming that every culture in the world wants to know about
every other culture, and assuming that English is a global lingua franca
- to the extent that we are speaking in it, on this list, now.

en:wiki would be weaker if every article on pasta resided solely on
it:wiki - and all we're saying is the same thing, in the context of the
oral citations project.

> Castelo
>

> Em 26/07/2011 16:16, whothis escreveu:
>> Looks like an excellent waste of effort.
>>
>> Maybe the problem of publishing non-publishable oral sources occurred to
>> someone on the team. Anyway the english wikipedia seems to be the
>> appropriate place for your original research. I can't wait to read all about
>> it.
>>
>> I still think a research project in emesis in the global south or something
>> would have suited english wikipedia better but that's just me.
>>
>> Your fan
>>
>> Elizabeth
>>

>> On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Achal Prabhala<aprabhala at gmail.com>   wrote:
>>
>>> Dear friends,
>>>
>>> At the beginning of 2011, a group of us began working on a project to
>>> explore alternative methods of citation on Wikipedia. We were motivated
>>> by the lack of published resources in much of the non-Anglo-European
>>> world, and the very real difficulty of citing everyday aspects of lived
>>> reality in India and South Africa.
>>>
>>> We are now at a stage where the project is almost complete, and we'd
>>> like to share our work with the broader movement, especially within
>>> India and South Africa.
>>>
>>> There are three languages we worked within: Malayalam, Hindi and Sepedi.
>>>
>>> The project page documents the process and logistics employed, as well
>>> as the findings and results:
>>>
>>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Oral_Citations
>>>
>>> A film made on the project is available here:
>>>

>>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:People-are-Knowledge.ogv?withJS=MediaWiki:MwEmbed.js
>>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:People-are-Knowledge.ogv
>>> or