[Foundation-l] Oral Citations project: People are Knowledge

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 08:14:27 UTC 2011

David Richfield, 27/07/2011 09:35:
> One of the most frequent complaints about Wikipedia, which I have seen
> in contexts such as the Wikipedia overview of World History and on
> websites that are critical of Wikipedia, is that it has an endemic
> bias towards Western, English-language information.  As long as
> Wikipedia is completely reliant on paper sources, this is unlikely to
> change.  The Oral Citations project is a brave attempt to light a
> candle instead of just cursing the darkness.

And a point I'd like to add is that this applies also to Europe... For
instance the whole it.wikisource WikiProject about Italian folk music
http://it.wikisource.org/wiki/Progetto:CantaStoria and Italian proverbs
on it.wikiquote; both have more or less written guidelines and practices
which (despite difficulties) allow oral sources because otherwise the
work would sometimes be impossible. And we've had decades of studies in
these fields...

Nemo