[Foundation-l] Start "questions and answers" site within Wikimedia

Tom Morris tom at tommorris.org
Fri Jul 22 10:59:51 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 22:07, Thomas Morton
<morton.thomas at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> True.  But we don't need to use proprietary software for this.
>
> Why?
>
> Honest question; SE has sensible ideals and license their content well. Why
> add to the workload of our sysops and developers with another system to
> maintain and support....
>
> We do Wiki's really well. SE do Q&A extremely well... QED.
>
> I see companies make this mistake all the time; going down the "lets host
> everything ourselves" and ending up with inadequate services and support.

One can have both. Go with StackExchange for a while and see if it
works out. The content is all licensed under CC BY-SA so if the
StackExchange solution works well, we can always copy the good Q&As
into Help: on wikipedia or meta or wherever. If it works really well,
set up a local open source equivalent.

Basically use the StackExchange version as a test bed to see if
Wikimedia should a Q&A site of its own.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>