[Foundation-l] Start "questions and answers" site within Wikimedia

Oliver Moran oliver.moran at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 09:35:35 UTC 2011

> There's a simple question: Can you run all key services relevant to
Wikimedia using only free/open software?

The question of "key service" is very interesting. If something were
considered to be a key service, I would definately say that it should be
managed by Wikimedia and, for practical reasons, rely only on free software
(as far as possible). But is a Q&A facility a "key service"? Or is it
something that, for example, a community like exists on Stack Exchange can
do just as well - maybe even better?

The other things below are also very interesting and spot on.

Oliver