[Foundation-l] Start "questions and answers" site within Wikimedia

aude aude.wiki at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 01:52:26 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM, Thomas Morton <morton.thomas at googlemail.com
> wrote:

> The part of our audience that would need the Q&A is not the same as, say,
> OpenStreetMap. There you have people using the tool that need a forum to
> ask
> for help and advice. This we already have in a fairly effective form;
> discussion and project pages -

OpenStreetMap also has a wiki, with extensive project pages, that's been in
use for many years for documentation and help resources.

But, the OSM wiki didn't work well as a help system and think the WIkipedia
help pages are even more complex, difficult to search, and not really
helpful for newbies.

> and the people needing that Q&A will get
> better help that way.Tom

I think a clean, easy-to-use help Q&A site is badly needed for Wikimedia
projects.  I would like to see it located at help.wikimedia.org or
help.en.wikimedia.org or something...

In an ideal world, it would have single login (w/ Wikipedia), if possible,
and maybe integrated some with OTRS (e.g. "Need more help? Contact us")
and/or chat help (e.g. #wikipedia-en-help) with a seamless, easy
experience.

I think sending people offsite for help is a step in the wrong direction
towards making Wikipedia easier to use.

Cheers,
Katie