[Foundation-l] Start "questions and answers" site within Wikimedia

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 21 21:07:02 UTC 2011

> True.  But we don't need to use proprietary software for this.

Why?

Honest question; SE has sensible ideals and license their content well. Why
add to the workload of our sysops and developers with another system to
maintain and support....

We do Wiki's really well. SE do Q&A extremely well... QED.

I see companies make this mistake all the time; going down the "lets host
everything ourselves" and ending up with inadequate services and support.

> Looks like SE uses OSQA anyways.

StackExchange is the original :) OSQA is a clone of it.

The history of SE (which grew out of StackOverflow) is very interesting if
you have a minute to read up on it. They have some awesome ideas about
community interaction and moderation that we could consider adopting.

Bottom line; if we want a goo Q&A site, SE is the sensible option :)

Tom