[Foundation-l] roadmap for WM affiliation ; a name for self-identified affiliation

Alec Conroy alecmconroy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 16:52:45 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Thomas Morton
<morton.thomas at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I dislike the idea of making it ultra-accessible for basically anyone to
> stick "Part of the Wikimedia Movement" on their website - it serves little
> purpose (per se) and you are going to get the vast majority of people
> slapping it on as a neat badge (or to take advantage of the brand) without
> actually subscribing or forwarding our aims. Wikimedia has broad aims, but a
> reasonably narrow focus, and that makes the movement hard for some to
> digest.
<snip>

Yes to everything about this email,

I should absolutely clarify that when I have been using the phrase
"Part of the Wikimedia Movement", that is entirely so people will say
"Hey, we shouldn't use that name in that way!".   I concur
wholeheartedly.    Such use would be a major brand experimentation for
no good reason.

I just say "Wikimedia Movement" because that's the name I have in my
head that explains the concept to this audience--  but actual name
MUST  change before it's put in use by third-party-projects.

Alternate brand with gradual membership, as you suggest, is the clear winner.

As for the name-- this looks like a job for....     experts.

Alec