[Foundation-l] roadmap for WM affiliation ; a name for self-identified affiliation

Alec Conroy alecmconroy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 15:49:34 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 8:17 AM, James Heilman <jmh649 at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is indeed one of the greatest suggestion I have heard in a long
> time. Having people add "Part of the Wikimedia Movement" would benefit
> both parties. All of us here I think support free knowledge wherever
> it is found. Allowing our GLAM partners to use this wording and those
> who are actively collaborating with us would be a start.

Thanks for the kind words.  And the only thing that's stopping us from
having that many sites in the movement is Trademark Law / Branding .
 The idea works and requires no resources, just a small campaign of
communication offering up the possibility.

But, if
1) we like the idea of "Part of the $x Movement" and
2) we don't want to use "Wikimedia" in the movement name,
Then:
We should _really_ ask the foundation professionals to use their
non-profit magic to find the right name.

Experts have gotten quite good at picking brand names, and our
foundations' experts are quite... expert.

These people put together fundraising campaigns with ever-increasingly
head-explodingly-successful results.  They have conducted
journal-grade scientific investigations into our readership and our
editor populations, diagnosing problem areas with pinpoint accuracy
before the problems develop into diseases.

If somebody's going to evaluate brand names based on their appeal to
the wider population, I vote they be the ones to do it. :)

Alec