[Foundation-l] List of Wikimedia projects and languages

M. Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 22:34:06 UTC 2011

No, Milos, my "reasoning" is not "of the industrial age". It is backed up by
first-hand experience and by research. People who live in cities are by
nature a part of a larger urban community, with few exceptions (if there is
some kind of enforced segregation, like ghettoization of Jews which often
preserved Yiddish in urban environments pre-holocaust), which means it is
very, very, very highly likely that their children will learn the LWC of the
city in addition to the language of their parents. There is also a much
higher chance that children who grow up in the city will marry someone
outside of their own linguistic group, which often means their children will
be raised primarily in the main language of that city. Now, like I said in
my original e-mail, a 100% bilingual minority group does not usually stay
bilingual for more than a couple of generations, especially in an urban
environment where they must interact on a daily basis with people who do not
speak their language, and often, might only use their own language at home.

Also, keep in mind that the idea of "generations" varies from country to
country. In some countries, people typically don't give birth until mid-late
30s; in others, it is in the teenage years, so things like language death
happen a bit more rapidly as the new generations come more quickly.