[Foundation-l] List of Wikimedia projects and languages

Thomas Goldammer thogol at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 11 11:14:21 UTC 2011

2011/7/11 emijrp <emijrp at gmail.com>:
> @Thomas and @Andre: I know that it is very hard to mantain a Wikipedia in
> 'remote' or 'almost extinct' languages, but, if we don't save as much as we
> can of them (including words, grammar, culture, social values), how are we
> going to offer 'all human knowledge' ?

We offer this knowledge by having articles about the grammar, culture
and social values of these languages, and by having wiktionary entries
for the words of these languages. We do not need to have the human
knowledge *in* these languages. It would be nice, but it's not
necessary to reach the ultimate goal to offer all human knowledge.

> How many people don't
> understand any Wikipedia today?

Of those who can read at all, probably much less than 1%. The problem
are those people who can't read.

Th.