[Foundation-l] Privacy concerns

Robin McCain robin at slmr.com
Mon Jul 11 00:28:17 UTC 2011

Back in the 1980's BBS sysops validated new users on some of the more
abused dial-up BBS systems via snail mail. The person had to provide a
real address in order to receive their login password - just as many
systems use email addresses today. The big difference between these two
mechanisms is that using snail mail has a chain of custody and implies
the possibility of some kind of legal action  for misuse whereas email
has no real chain of custody or rarely any legal standing.

So is it going to be a hoop to jump through or something more?

Making a copy and mailing it isn't much better than forging a document
and mailing it. Who knows whether the copy even belongs to the person in
question?

I'd say that if you've blocked someone who is a sockpuppet or other
abuser the burden of validating such a person should be on them, not the
wiki staff. At least a notary (or other public official) would have to
look at an identity document - verify its validity as well as see that
it indeed matches the person in question - then sign a document to that
effect. This completely removes the wiki staff from the need to access
the validity of a copy.

No it isn't free, but that's the price a blocked user might have to pay
for abusing what was freely given in the first place. :-/