[Foundation-l] List of Wikimedia projects and languages

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 19:28:55 UTC 2011

This time I've cleaned the list of Wikimedia [content] projects from
meta:Special:SiteMatrix [1] and calculated some numbers [2].

So, for statistics, there are:
* 270 Wikimedia languages (however, you would see below that the term
"language" is not quite precise)
* 270 Wikipedias
* 146 Wiktionaries
* 83 Wikibooks
* 29 Wikinews
* 67 Wikiquotes
* 58 Wikisources
* 12 Wikiversities
* 665 total content projects

There are:
* 12 languages with all 7 projects
* 16 languages with 6 projects (usually without Wikiversity)
* 22 languages with 5 projects (usually without Wikiversity and Wikinews)
* 16 languages with 4 projects
* 24 languages with 3 projects
* 59 languages with 2 projects
* 121 languages with 1 project
* 19 languages with all projects "closed".

Note that just small number (if any) of closed projects are actually
closed. The most of them is possible to edit.

Interesting part in this part of statistics [3] is that Wikimedia
projects are by number of projects dominated by languages with smaller
number of projects. 121 languages with just one project (up to now
exclusively Wikipedia) have 44.81% share in the number of Wikimedia
languages, but also 18.20% share in the number of all Wikimedia
projects (which is the biggest share).

Fortunately, Wikimedia projects are dominated by individual living
languages [4]: 240 of 270 languages.

22 of the rest of Wikimedia languages are treated [by SIL] as
"macrolanguages". That definition is vague: from practically the same
languages up to the groups which could be treated as language family.
Anyway, it says that we have a number of not solved issues related to
the projects which serve multiple languages.

We have 8 Wikipedias in constructed languages, 5 in historical, 3 in
dialects or different written forms, 2 in individual living languages
but without ISO 639 codes, and one in revived language (Manx).

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:SiteMatrix
[2] http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Missing_Wikipedias/List_of_Wikimedia_projects
[3] http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Missing_Wikipedias/List_of_Wikimedia_projects#Number_of_Wikimedia_projects_per_language
[4] http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Missing_Wikipedias/List_of_Wikimedia_projects#Number_of_Wikimedia_projects_per_language_type