[Foundation-l] Black market science

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 07:23:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 11:42 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 July 2011 21:29, Arlen Beiler <arlenbee at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Once it is published, can't it just go to Wikisource? Or would it have to be
>> CC-By or something like that. If so, Wikisource would still be the best
>> suited for that, we would just have to put it in a journal namespace or
>> something along that line.
>

> Remember that en:wp's "no original research" rule was invented for
> physics cranks. And even with fairly light moderation, arXiv features
> some spectacularly gibbering [[green ink]]. This will need some
> thought to create something that's actually useful to anyone,
> anywhere, ever.
>

> - d.

Not entirely true. In the very early days, we had a quite considerable
contingent of cranks pushing novel interpretations of history
or literatrary theory etc. The problem there is that in those cases it
wasn't blindingly obvious that they were cranks, because they
tended to be discursive geniuses, in the genuine sense, rather
than dribbling idiots like the physics cranks. And then there those
who straddled both worlds, like the 'pataphysiscs loonies.